In the discipline of History, Primary Sources...
- are first-hand accounts of an event or time period.
- are normally written or produced during or shortly after the event or time period.
- can be published or unpublished writings, audio or video recordings, or photographs from individuals, organization, companies, or government agencies.
- include diaries, letters, speeches, oral histories, news accounts (print, film, and audio), autobiographies, government or organizational records, artifacts, maps, advertisements, and photographs.
- can be found in libraries (often called "special collections"), historical societies, archives, as well as online.
Source: Frederick Community College History LibGuide